Bye Blog

A blog about all things Bye.

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy Zoo Year

I can't take credit for that title.

Tonight, we went to the Perth Zoo's annual New Year's Eve celebration that is targeted to families with young kids. They extend the zoo hours and then around 6:30 pm there's a concert/entertainment in a park area. Then at 9 pm, the new year is counted down so the kids get the spirit of it all. It was fantastic; apparently it sells out every year and this year was no exception - 4,500 patrons all left quite happy.

Tan and I have decided that Australians lead the world in picnic festivities. These people PICNIC.

For example, tonight we showed up with our little tote bag of snacks for the kids and the stroller. We were by far and away the most under-equipped family there.

Everyone else had blankets, lawn chairs, coolers (they call them "Eskys") and huge spreads to eat - beer, wine, pizza, roast chickens, salads, sushi, pizza - you name it, someone there was eating or drinking it. It was full on.

It must be some combination of the weather, all the parks, the public BBQs, and the relaxed attitude towards public drinking (on the last one, it is entirely acceptable here to sit and drink a beer while your kid plays at a park. I have no idea whether it's legal or no; I suspect that if you asked an Australian, they wouldn't know either.). Whatever it is, these people can flat-out, full-on picnic like no other population I have ever seen.

It's pretty cool. Next year, we'll be more prepared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home